Tuesday, January 20, 2009

One of Those Mornings

Today while I was with my visiting teaching companion, she looked over at me and said, "Are you sure everything is alright?"

"Sure," I answered, "It was just one of those morning."

You know one of those morning. Not the one when you are running late, or you spill your bowl of cereal, but the one that your husband kisses you goodbye and you roll over and go back to sleep. Five minutes later , the backdoor starts shaking from him pounding on it so hard. The adreline starts to pump and you jump out of bed and fling the door open to find him covered in, well, not blood, but it looks like it and so you panic. It doesn't help that he is limping and shaking. Really, I started putting my shoes on to take him to the hospital. I started looking at his leg and started asking "where is it?" meaning the imaginary cut that had him covered in imaginary blood. But it was really just water. Very cold dirty water. He is shaking so bad, he can hardly tell you this and now you're the one peeling his soaking jeans off him.

It was one of those morning. You know the one, that your pipes freeze again for what feels like the 40 millionth time.. and you haven't had a shower or washed your face in like 24 hours. And this time, the pipe decides to break. Not just freeze, but actually crack and spray water all over the wellhouse and create a mess. The dishes are piled high and so is the laundry. And all you really want is a hot shower, the only thing you can't have. And you really want to move to Hawaii. Hawaii, where is doesn't get below about 60 degrees, your pipes will never freeze, you will never fall on the ice or got outside and have your nosehairs freeze. I wonder if you can have an avacado tree in Hawaii?

And yet, it was just one of those mornings. And she smiles back, understanding, but not really. And you know the best thing is not to dwell on the events, smile and just get passed it. Because tomorrow will be better. And if it's not, well you always have today to be grateful for.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

that's crappy. are you guys moving to Hawaii then? I should call you like I said I would

Chelsi said...

This post made me laugh. Becuase I get it...not the freezing / breaking pipe type of mornings, but I know "those mornings" The kind where I look around me with the half-dazed smile on my face - you know, the kind you see on people who have been in asylum for a few years, and think "This too shall pass...right?"

Emily said...

Oh my heck, you have got to be kidding me, I would have freaked out too I'm sure if Dave had come in like that! I would be pretty annoyed if my pipes froze again like that-I hope everything is fixed now!