Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Busselbergs and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Days

>
When everything seems to fall apart in a few short days, it tends to overwhelm me and makes me want to complain and whine.  So, I neglected blogging about our crazy week.  It is getting better, so I have a better attitude to reflect on the events and put them in some light that is more amusing and less whiny. 

My story begins on Sunday, that is Sunday the 4th of January.  Well, maybe it begins sooner.  On Tuesday we realized we were down to the 7% of our propane (approximately 50 gallons) and we met with our Landlord and asked him to fill up the tank.  I called on Wednesday and they said they were booked solid until Monday.  I explained we were very nearly out, but she wouldn't budge.  Thursday they were closed and Friday there just wasn't any room for us.  For whatever reason, I resigned to the fact we were not going to get any propane sooner.  And of course, we ran out. 

So, we packed up a few things and went to my Grandma's in Preston.  Landen had a horrible night and left his sleepy medicine home, so it was hard.  Michael went to his first day of school on Monday while Landen and I hung out with Grandma.  She was a wonderful host and we had a very enjoyable day, we played some scrabble and Landen was so good.   We finally got propane at the house at around 8.  So, Michael lit the furnace and came and got us.  

When we got home, Michael lit the water heater, but we never did got hot water.  We figured it was just taking a long time to get hot and went to bed.  Michael got up Tuesday and went to school.  Landen and I were just home enjoying the morning and I heard a rush of water.  I thought maybe the pipe to the water heater had thawed and the heater was filling up, but I felt strongly that I should go outside and check on it.  So, I put Landen in his crib and went outside to check on it. (yes, the water heater is only accessible from the garage.) I turned the corner and could see the water spraying from the closet. I didn't even have to open the door.  So, I ran out to the well, and turned the water off.  My adreline was pumping, and I got our shop vac and pumped up all the water I could, but I could tell it was seeping into the house and the floor was sagging from the weight of the water heater.  I just prayed it wouldn't fall and nothing else would happen until Michael got him.  I think waiting for him was the longest 2 hours I've had in awhile.

He finally got home and took a look at it.  The pipe to the water heater had indeed burst.  Luckily, it was about a 4 foot section of pipe that screwed into the other pieces.  The "burst" was only about an inch or so long, but it still let a lot of water out.  We got the pipe fixed and then we started to assess the damage.  Since our bedroom is right there, we had the most damage.  It was about 4-6 feet out from the wall and we ended up pulling up about 1/3 of th carpet up to dry.  Needless to say, we slep on the living room floor that night and let the fans run.  It was like a jungle gym climbing over things to get into the room anyway.  And the bed was loaded with stuff. 
  
         
  
We just moved in September, so I was just starting to feel like everything had not just been unpacked, but was starting to find the "right" place, when well, this happened. It was an adventure.  And we know that we are lucky something worse didn't happen.  We are really grateful for the friends and family that were able to help us and just be there for support!

2 comments:

Chelsi said...

I am sorry! We have had all sorts of water trouble at our house this past month too. It is the pits.

Sharon said...

That's horrible. Sometimes bad days can only be laughed at years later.