Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Diminishing Lap

I think Landen is realizing that something big is about to change.

The smaller mom's lap gets, the more he wants to sit on it. Or sleep on it. You can tell by the way he pats it and pushes it, he has noticed that it getting bigger and not as comfy. And he gives me this look like, "knock it off, mom" when the baby kicks him.

Last night when he got up 2am, he has an earache in each ear and has been struggling sleeping through the night, he wanted to be rocked back to sleep, he climbed on my belly and put his arms around my neck. The baby immediately began kicking my ribs out. I feel sibling rivilary already.

And no matter how much I tell him about the baby, I don't think he really gets it. He doesn't get why he has a belly and mom has a baby. I don't think he gets that he's not going to be an only child either. Or that he is going to have to continue to share mom's lap and more of mom's attention.


Maybe that's why my lap is disappearing. Maybe it's the natural way to tell Landen to move over because a baby is coming. (Only about 6 more weeks!)

1 comment:

Danelle and Alex said...

You only have six more weeks? You are cruising! Kade is funny too. We ask him where the baby is and he pats his belly. He also wants to be held more and more. I'm sure they sense something and are getting every last cuddle they can!