Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Coming Home

Yes. We made yet ANOTHER long trip to the Dakotas. We were actually on a ranch in North Dakota on the Montana border. Right in the middle of Bowman, North Dakota and Baker, Montana. No idea where that is? That's okay, it's in the middle of nowhere!

I have some ranch pictures I'll put up later, but today my feet are tired and I don't want to walk over and get the camera to upload pictures. So I will continue to sit on the couch ;)

We left on Saturday, May 9 and returned on Tuesday, May 19. 10 days. Looking back on it, we had fun and I didn't really start to miss being home until Monday, but it sure feels like quite a long time. Spur was very happy to see us, and Penny was so excited to be home she started running her laps. (Yes, she runs from one end of the house to the other to get her exercise, try putting something in her way, it's hilarious) I, on the other hand, had plenty of mixed feelings about the whole coming home thing.

First, there is the LAUNDRY. This is my biggest complaint about trips. First, you have to do like 5 loads so you can have EVERYTHING washed so that you can pack. And then when you get home, you have to wash EVERYTHING again because it all got dirty on your trip. And if you didn't wear it-- it doesn't matter because it's either very wrinkled or your shoes got put on top of it or it just got shoved in the dirty clothes bag. And 15 loads later, your life has somewhat returned to normal, but that now you have to fold it all and put it away. Along with every other item that somehow packed neatly in your car, but has created quite the obstacle course in your front room.

Then, our house smelled very stale when we got home. I even left one window cracked a bit. I lit a candle, but there is just something about stale air that bugs me. It got a little warm while we gone and in a trailer this doesn't help that stale air. The fan is going, which is making it so much better. I hate that nasty smell...

And our yard. I seriously think our grass is over a foot tall. Maybe not the front yard, but the back -- most definatlely. And so we will have to mow it. I think that mowing your grass makes it grow more. We have mowed the backyard, but not the front and the back yard is twice as long. So, in my personal case study, my theory is true.

Lastly, we you approach the 'we're going to be gone for more than a week' mark, you empty your fridge before you go that way you won't home to very rotten old smelly food. So, when you come home -- hungry because you were so close that you didn't stop for food -- you find the fridge very empty. So, you have to go to the store to buy groceries -- like milk -- before you can make anything. Michael really hates it when the fridge is empty because he loses all creative juices on his meals. (I'm the opposite, I like to have just a few things and figure out what I can make out of them) And we are not grocery-shopping-lovers. Neither of us likes it, it's like that chore that no likes to do, but you always have to do. And so instead of enjoying being home, you go to the store.

BUT, I do like being home. There is something wonderful about going home to your own private space! And not worrying about Landen crying or climbing on things or leaving something out to trip over. Something really wonderful about cooking in kitchen where you know where things are and what you have and how it works. And showering in your shower -- not a gross one, not out of travel bottles, and not wondering if the last personstuck your bar of soap up his butt-crack. (yes, I really do worry about that) The best part of all is sleeping in your own bed with your own pillow, in the right amount of darkness, the perfect amount of space, and all those familar noises.

So, while I was definately not up for running laps around the house and was feeling a little stressed about it, I think I was happy to be home.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

This was a cute post, it made me laugh a few times! I'm glad you're back safe and sound-- when are we going to the zooooooo?!