Saturday, October 10, 2009

To Celebrate or Not to Celebrate?

I have a confession to make.

I hate Halloween.

And Michael does too.

We turn off our lights and pretend like we're not home. We avoid the mall, the ward parties and trunk-or-treats. We don't dress up, go to spook alleys or make Halloween food. Well, sometimes I make sugar cookies in an attempt to be festive.

My favorite part of Halloween is the candy corn.

Now, we have a dilemma. I have a toddler these days, so we do the ritual dress up and go to the ward party and trunk or treat? It seems like so much effort to find him a costume or make one to go to a party, he probably won't like and get candy I won't let him eat.

Then I feel guilty for depriving my child of the nostalgia of his first Halloween-- the dressing up and pictures, going to the party to socialize, sneaking in a few pieces of candy. I did get him a cute pumpkin sleeper last year, but let's face it, last year he was about 2 months old and it was really just cute. Cute Halloween is alright.

So, I don't know what to do.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

we are going to our ward party with some of our friends that have a son and the 6 of us are gonna be the flintstones! yabbadabbadooooo! I love dressing up. :) just do it and have fun with it. or skip it this year, he probably won't ask questions or even notice later in life. seriously, I don't remember any pictures of you when you were 1 1/2 at Halloween. HMMM or you could make it a family rule where you don't celebrate it, like the McClelands. or just ENJOY dressing up and make it FUN!

d.a.b.e said...

Well i agree that i too am not big on halloween but when breyonna was a month old, we dressed her up in a little pea in the pod costume anyway eventhough we just hung out at home passing out candy, and last year, she was a cute little ballerina. this time she will be a pirate. I tell you guys that even if you dont do much for halloween, it is sure cute to look back on the pics of past halloweens with your little child looking cute in a costume!

Danelle and Alex said...

I too think it is kind of silly to get way too into Halloween but it is are really fun holiday for the kids. My mom didn't love Halloween, in fact she hated it and she let us know. I think we would have had more fun if she made it fun for us. Does that makes sense? So I say make it fun for him. Plus the pictures will be fun to look back on.

Mom said...

I waited until you kids were at least two to celebrate Halloween because you won't remember it anyway!

Chelsi said...

What? How can you hate Halloween? Really? It's my favorite...I am sure whatever you decide to do will all be ok, but I am putting in my pitch for the holiday.