Monday, October 19, 2009

"Hello? This is 911 Emergency Response.."

Every good story needs a good title. I think I have a good one. Did it get your attention? Good! Turn up your volume and get ready for this good story.

It was taunting Landen on the end table. It was black cordless telephone. He couldn't quite reach it, so he leans up on his tippy-toes and batts it. It falls over and he seizes it. The screen turns green, as his chubby hands grip the electronic device. Then it beeps, as if to say, "Come on, touch my buttons." So, he gives in to temptation and starts to press them as the buttons joyfully continue to beep.

"We don't have long distance, so he can't hurt anything." Grandpa says. Get ready to eat crow.
Landen happily walks around gabbering on the phone and pressing buttons.



The phone rings.
Landen grins.

Grandpa takes the phone away and steadies himself for bad news. 'The delinquent teenager is at it again,' he thinks as he reads the caller id, "Fremont Co Sheriff."

"Hello, This is 9-1-1 Emergency Response, " Grandpa's face turns white, his heart begins to race and his blood pressure sky rockets. "We received a call from this number. An officer is on his way, what is your emergency?" Grandpa's eyes go blank.

"uhh... we didn't call 911." Grandpa glances down at Landen, and begins to stifle a laugh.

"No, I assure you, no one called 911. We are all just fine." (Just an extreme case of the giggles.)

The entire rooms erupts into laughter, and they all wonder, "of all the number combination possible and all the buttons he could possible push, how does a 14-month old manage to dial 911 and press send?"

We took the battery out, and let him to continue to talk on the phone. We made sure it couldn't make calls.



Sorry, we couldn't stop laughing on that one. I was trying not to laugh and so I sound really weird when I laugh, go figure.