Landen got a bicycle this summer. We had been looking for one of craigslist or something for a few weeks when a friend of our picked it up at garage sale for $1! It had bent training wheels, so we knew we'd have to get some new ones, but hey, it's a good deal! Landen was so excited when we got it that he jumped right on and promptly feel off. In Landen's words, it was too "wiggly-wompily." I got him new training wheels and put them on, but he wouldn't ride it for me!! He wouldn't get back on the bike until Daddy taught him to ride it. Michael was out of town with work so Landen waited 3 days for Dad to teach him. Landen would walk it around the driveway, but he wouldn't even get on and let me push him. (Ahhh.. some days I wish he wasn't so determined!)
Michael got home and was teaching him, I think he just needed the confidence that it wouldn't tip over, but Landen kept complaining that it was too hard. He could cycle part-way around but he would get stuck with a pedal up. He kept trying, but it seemed like he just couldn't get the pedaling. I started thinking maybe the chain needed greased. And Michael can't do anything half-way, so he took the bottom bracket apart and re-greased it. I totally just would have sprayed WD40 in there, but that's what you get when dad helps!
It really helped! After having a blast helping Dad fix his bike, Landen was excited to ride! It took him a little bit to get the whole pedal thing down, but he kept at it even when it was hard. That's what makes me so proud of him! It took him a little while to get it figured out, but he did and now he rides around so good!
The first thing he does after breakfast is get dressed with his tennis shoes so he can ride his bike. This is a seriously deviation from his regular cowboy boots for everything else that he has to have. He says, "Mom, is it to windy to ride my bike?" "I haven't been out yet," "Okay. I'll got check." And he marches out to see. He asks throughout the day if he can go ride his bike. It's great ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment