So, I decided we should start documenting our garden this year. In 5 years of marriage this is the 4th new garden we've started. That's starting from scratch every single year we've planted one.
This year included turning a weed patch into a garden oasis. Not an easy task. However, this year has been especially conducive to working outside before we really needed to plant. We rototiller it up, and started putting in beds. Originally were going to put in 4x8' beds about 2' apart, but we got tired of digging. We put in 8 of those and then went to just 4' rows 2' apart that were only raised enough to keep the weed plastic from blowing away. This really ended up working well so we had larger beds to put in larger quantities of produce and use the raised beds for succession planting.
We also put the entire garden on a drip system. With the amount of wind we get out here, it's way more practical. And I can water the entire garden in 1-30 minute set 2-3 times a week! We know the initial investment was more than a hose and sprinkler, but hopefully being more efficient and running the pump less will save us more money in the end! Our garden is almost 2000 sq ft, and we put the entire system in for about $100 to $150.
Anyway, This is the first week after our Average Last Freeze Date. The majority of our planting has been in the last week or so, but we've got spinach ready to eat!!! Our onions, potatoes and peas are looking good, along with our lettuces, carrots, cabbages. It makes me really excited for more things to start peeping up.
So why the incredibly huge garden? Michael has set a goal to put up 50% of our food this year ourselves. I totally support it too. I was talking to a "normal person" earlier and they said we were crazy. Why would we ever do that much work? The answer really isn't that crazy, though there are many different reason, our top 4 are:
1. The prophet said to plant a garden.
2. To be more self-sufficient
3. Eat healthier and more natural
4. Save money
Seriously, I think just to save money is reason enough. My goal is just to reduce my monthly grocery bill by $100. Can you think of other way people do this? Couponing comes to mind. I doubt I spend any more time than those that cut and organize coupons and then run around town chasing deals. We'd rather spend our day out in the dirt any old day!!
No comments:
Post a Comment