My child, Landen. Yes, that one.
He hasn't fallen asleep in my arms in over a year. He stopped falling asleep in my arms when he was about 3-4 months old.
And it never happens.
Never.
Not even when he's sick, or having a night terror.
Not ever.
I feel deprived. I hate Babywise for this. I hate all parenting books for this.
Tonight, I was feeling sorry for him -- he has a fever and I think it's because he has an ear infection-- and sat up rocking him while his last dose of tylenol was kicking in.
And his eyes fluttered shut and then he started to snore.
My heart leaped into my throat and I think I might have cried if I wasn't trying so hard not to wake him up. I felt motherly and comforting, and able to console my crying child (which frequently isn't the case).
It's so fulfilling to your mothering nature to have your baby snoring in your arms and being hit with how much you love for him at that same time. It makes me happy on a whole different level.
And yet I feel so bad for the little boy.
3 comments:
Henry never falls asleep in my arms either, and I too blame it on Babywise! I hate being at church surrounded by mothers with their sweet sleeping children on their laps, while my extremely tired and incredibly fussy baby refuses to let me hold him to go to sleep. I hope Landon feels better soon!
I know exactly what you mean. Ivie is a champion snuggle sleeper...everyone always tells me I am going to regret rocking her to sleep...and maybe it will make bedtime harder in a few months, but Trev and I have decided that we will just take that when it comes, and try to remember these snuggly nights when she gets too old and tool cool for us to rock anymore.
Chelsi- I agree, I think with my next one I'm going to rock or cuddle to sleep, and then lay her down. My dad rocked me to sleep until I was 5, and he'll tell you that he never regretted it.
Heidi - at least I'm not the only one! Landen gets so cranky at church too because we have the 1 o'clock schedule and that's right during nap time.
Post a Comment