I wanted to wish my mom and mother-in-law Happy Mother's Day!! I know they will forgive me for mailing their cards on Friday and so they will get them sometime next week, and still know I love them! And tell them they are great moms! And so are all the other motherly figures in my life -- I appreciate them.
I'm having a wonderful mothers' day so far. Landen burst into my room this morning and said, "MA!" which made my day, because I've never been called ma before! Or mom, or mama, or anything like that by Landen. It made my morning! They boys also made me a nice breakfast and have been super nice to me. They are going to make me dinner tonight too! (ok, I bought a box of shrimp scampi so it would be good and easy, but hey they are going to cook it.) This has been a really fun weekend for me because my birthday was Friday and the two holidays stringed together gets a me a whole weekend to not do many chores and not much cooking!
Last Sunday visiting my mother's ward, the women in Relief Society were talking about how they hated Mother's Day. I was a little appalled, probably because I only have one child and last year he was only 9 months. The main reason was because they felt that mothers are put on a pedastal and talked about they're perfect, and most women feel they fall short. That story about how patient your mom was makes another mom feel guilty for not being more patient- or loving or serving or strong or righteous or kind or whatever motherly attribute you want to talk about. I realize that I feel that way too sometimes, like I should be a better mother and I'm not as good as everyone thinks. But Mother's Day isn't about just the best mothers in the world. It doesn't have to be about how great they are either, it's just about taking a special day to remember to say, "I love you, Mom." and "Thanks for everything Mom." And maybe pampering her and getting her a present to show that you appreciate her.
I know my mom is not perfect, but I love her and am grateful she's my mom. I appreciate her strongwill and straight moral compass. I'm grateful to Michael's mom for not killing him for being a hellian teenager and raising him in the gospel. She's a great Mother-in-law too.
I know I should be a better mom, but today I'm just happy my son called me "ma."
No comments:
Post a Comment