Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Twin Butte Farms.... Almost!
Michael has always dreamed of having his own family farm. Seriously, this guy was born in the wrong century. He would love nothing more than raising his own food. He loves making his own everything-- fuel, candles, soaps, etc. He desires nothing more than to be completely self-sufficient. Off The Grid. He's really into Joe Sallatin methods of sustainable agriculture.
Then there is me- Reality and Balance. I like hairdryers, Dawn dish soap, internet, and soft sheets. I doubt I could live without chocolate and my vacuum cleaner. (I have carpet in my kitchen- don't judge!) I like to garden and the animals are growing on me. I like to cook too and do something crafty here and there. But I hate to spend extra money and time on things that can easily be purchased (homemade laundry soap anyone?).
Back to the topic: We're starting our farm! We bought 150 chicks about 3 weeks ago. They are going to be pastured hens and should produce about dozen eggs a week! We've teamed up with a local CSA to sell our eggs and we will be selling them at farm's markets if we have leftovers. We're hoping no leftovers. :)
Anyway, here are some pics of our little chicks!
Just a few more weeks and they'll be outside. They actually have quite a bunch of room in their boxes, they just huddle together. We have 50 Rhode Island Reds and 100 Golden Sexlinks-- all brown egg layers.
I'm working on our website. When it's done I'll have you take a look.
We're also going to raise some turkeys for thanksgiving...so if you want one let me know.
Until then, Happy Spring!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Just curious...where are you located? I read this blog and can relate! Our journey is blogged about on mcdowellfamilyfarm.blogspot.com
Chickens are fun! We've been raising pastured chickens and turkeys the past 2 years and although we are taking this year off, we're still involved. Good luck!
Post a Comment