Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Fall Oreos

Remember our contest?  Our friend and neighbor Emily won! She actually guessed Maggie's weight EXACTLY!!  So, I have a plate of oreos with your name on it.

And all you fellow blog readers, your consulation prize is the recipe!  

I was draggin my feet a little sharing this recipe, because it's a little finicky (is that a word?). It also goes against the traditional way to make cookies. So followe the instructions and I'll give you some fabulous tips.

Cocoa Crinkle Sandwiches (click for printer-friendly version)
1 3/4 cup flour

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1 can (16oz) vanilla or chocolate frosting

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat; cool slightly. Add 1 1/4 sugar, whisk until smooth. Whisk in eggs- 1 at a time. Stir in vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients. Refrigerate 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl; roll balls in sugar and place on greased cookie sheet. (you don't have to roll them in sugar-- I usually don't)
Bake 12 minutes or until cookies are set. Let cookies stand on cookie sheet 5 minutes; transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
Spread about 2 teaspoon frosting on flat sides of cookies, press down to squeeze frosting to edges.

Some Tips
These are wafer-type cookies, so expect them to turn out crunchy. Make sure the dough is very chilled- like overnight. Put it back in the fridge between batches to keep it firm, letting it warm up will flatten the cookies and make them crunchier and even more oddly shaped.

I use a cookie-scoop to keep them to all turn out about the same size. I think mine is about a tablespoon and a half- but they still come out slightly different sizes and shapes. I try to get the cookies that are about the same size to put together.

I put about a tablespoon of frosting on one cookie, on the flat side, and spread it out. Then I put the second cookie on and twist it slightly to get it to look nice and not all go out on one side.

Then, I let them sit out for an hour or two until the edges of frosting harder just a bit before I put them in an airtight container.

If you don’t want a crunchy cookie and would like a chewier cookie-- try these:
add 1/2 tsp baking powder
bake for 10 minutes instead of 12

1 comment:

Emily said...

YES!!! Thanks Angela! I'm excited to have the recipe too! I NEED to hold Maggie sometime! :)