So, most of you know, I'm the type of person that doesn't always tell everybody everything about how I'm feeling and what's going on. I like to make sure I have my feelings all in a line and my ducks all in a row before I blurt out every detail of my life. Sure, there are family members and friends that I confide in, but it's usually been pretty selective. So, here it all is. The big blurt, because I feel like I'm leaving out a huge chunk of our lives.
Michael lost his job/quit at the end of July. (because his boss was a jerk and he couldn't pay him, long story) He has been interviewing for a more permanent position since about March, but because of a variety of factors we haven't been able to take any of the jobs. Don't ask how many times we were told, "We'd love to hire you, but we've decided to hold off and see what's going to happen with the economy." Or some variation of that. Anyway, before we left to go to Indiana I made Michael call about a $12/hr job at a Biofuels plant in Idaho. They were interested in him and interviewed him. They want him to be a plant manager, which would be a different salaried position.
We finally decided that since nothing else was working and we were going to run out of money soon enough, that something must be done. Our choices were; move in with my parents and work potato harvest and hope something worked out after that or take the job at the biofuels plant.
We prayed about it and soon decided biofuels it was. The plant is in American Falls, Idaho which is about 25 minutes west of Pocatello. We went to look for a place to live. That was a joke all within itself. There was about 3 rentals available in the whole town, and I wouldn't live in any of them. So, we went back and looked in Chubback (the west side of Pocatello). There were plenty of rentals and I swear we called almost every rental there was and looked at about 30 of them and as luck would have it we ended up renting the first one we looked at. Michael was very adament about having one of the outskirts of town and a nice one. Since he was giving up farming (temporarily), he wanted something nice. I wanted something cheap and someplace we could keep Penny. So, we found something that works. The house we found is an upstairs, 3 bedroom/ 1bath. It's a little older, but its alright inside. New carpet, but it could use a coat of paint and a few more cubic feet in the bathroom. It's on the north outskirts and has a small pasture behind it.
And now we're moving. I loaded the truck up yesterday and drove a few things up. I cried as a I left the valley. I'm not so sure about trading Cache Valley in for Pocatello. It's like paradise for the armpit. (They call Pocatello the armpit of Idaho. The Simplot plant literally makes the place stink.) We're leaving a lot of friends and memories behind and trotting off to another start. I've been in Cache Valley for the last 6 years, which is almost the longest I've lived anywhere in my life. It just feels like home. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it really is, and Pocatello will be great, but I'm still sad.
Michael did have a good first day of work. We hope the job turns out well. Our big moving day is on Saturday, so if you want to help let us know.
3 comments:
Hi Angela! Tell Mike Congrats on the job! I know it's not exactly what you were hoping for right now, but in this economy it's a big deal that he got one and he deserves a big hug and congrats :) Moving is never easy, especially far moves. I understand completely how you feel. I was extremely ready to get out of Salt Lake (never liked it there), but moving from Texas was very hard on me and I cried a lot, but I had a blessing that told me that there was a reason Heavenly Father needed ME in Louisville. The funny thing was that the blessing was given to me by some missionaries while I was at a friend's house (Joe was at work) for my ankle. They didn't have a clue about my anxiety about moving to Louisville for dental school and everything they said I knew was straight from Heavenly Father calming ALL of my fears. I guess what I am trying to say is that everything will work out. You started this adventure with a prayer, so there is a reason for it and it can only lead to bigger and better adventures and Mike can always keep looking for a farming job while he works this one. Good luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes! Give that adorable baby boy of yours a big hug for me! Love ya!
Good luck Angela. Moving is so hard and I wish you the best.
Oh man - I understand a lot of your emotions right now. It's hard to leave a place you've called home for so long and to move to a new place. We did that for Dave's job and didn't have any real connections down here. It's been such a learning experience and blessing - and you're lucky to still be close to family, not thousands of miles away. I hope everything goes so well for your guys!
Post a Comment